Monday, April 20, 2015

K-drama Review: You Who Came From The Star (2014)

안녕하세요 여러분! Hello everyone ♥

I'm shocked by myself because my last k-drama was in May 2014 O_O
I didn't realize that I have been neglecting pile of my K-dramas collection for that long time! LOL.
Few weeks ago I finally finished one of the most popular dramas in 2014, I believe most of you already familiar with this title XD
Actually I feel little bit hesitate to write this post or not, because this drama isn't new anymore and maybe you guys already bored to talk about it :p But I still want to post this review for my personal entertainment space on this blog, because I may miss this drama in upcoming years and this post will help me to recall the story :D


Title: You Who Came From The Star 별에서 온 그대

About
My Love from the Star (Hangul: 별에서 온 그대; RR: Byeoreseo on geudae; literally You Who Came from the Stars) is a South Korean television series about an alien who landed on Earth in the Joseon Dynasty and, 400 years later, falls in love with a top actress in the modern era. It aired on SBS from 18 December 2013 to 27 February 2014 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 for 21 episodes; the production company extended the original 20-episode run with one episode, due to high viewers' demand.
The fantasy romance stars Kim Soo-hyun and Jun Ji-hyun (also known as Gianna Jun, in her small screen comeback after 14 years), who previously worked together in the blockbuster heist film The Thieves.
Jun won the Daesang (or "Grand Prize"), the highest award for television, at the Baeksang Arts Awards and the SBS Drama Awards, and as did Kim at the Korea Drama Awards.

Also known as
You Who Came from the Stars
You from Another Star
My Love from the Stars
My Love from Another Star
Man from the Stars
Man from Another Star
Genre
Romance
Comedy
Drama
Sci-Fi
Written by
Park Ji-eun
Directed by
Jang Tae-yoo
Starring
Kim Soo-hyun
Jun Ji-hyun
Park Hae-jin
Yoo In-na
Opening theme
"My Destiny" by: Lyn
Country of origin
South Korea
Original language(s)
Korean
No. of episodes
21
Production
Executive producer(s)
Choi Moon-suk
Producer(s)
Moon Bo-mi
Location(s)
Korea
Cinematography
Lee Gil-bok
Jung Min-gyun
Camera setup
Multiple-camera setup
Running time
70 minutes
Production company(s)
HB Entertainment
Broadcast
Original channel
SBS and regional affiliates
Picture format
1080i (HDTV)
Original run
18 December 2013 – 27 February 2014
Chronology
Preceded by
The Heirs
Followed by
Three Days



Main characters


  • Kim Soo-hyun as Do Min-joon
    A very cold and distant being, he loved a girl who lived during the Joseon Dynasty for liking him as his true self, an alien. After the girl dies from saving him, he waits to return home. Living a lonely and isolated life for centuries, he one day meets Cheon Song-yi, a girl who, at a young age, looked exactly like the one he cared 400 years ago and whom he once saved.
  • Jun Ji-hyun as Cheon Song-yi
    A top Hallyu star who is very blunt and believes that she is every man's type, until she meets her stoic neighbor, Do Min-joon. She soon develops feelings for him and tries to make him fall for her.
  • Park Hae-jin as Lee Hwi-kyung
    Song-yi's childhood friend who has an unrequited love for her. He believes one day she will love him, but decides to back down for a while, supporting her through thick and thin as a true friend.
  • Yoo In-na as Yoo Se-mi
    Song-yi's childhood best friend. Underneath her sweet smile, she is actually very envious of Song-yi and has had a crush on Hwi-kyung for a long time. She later becomes famous after Song-yi's fall from the entertainment industry.
Credit: wikipedia
 

First Impression:
When I first watched Ep 1, I immediately think that Jihyun's height (in heels) is quite tall for a woman and she almost pass Soohyun's height XD Jihyun looked so arrogant, helpless and careless. I love how they can blend their very-opposite characters really well :D Do Min Joon The Iceberg and Song-yi the Arrogant! LOL.


Do Min Joon & Cheon Song-yi in the past


Unrequited love of Hwi-Kyung and Yoo Se-Mi T_T
my heart skipped a beat for this scene!


Overall Thoughts:
The main idea of this drama is very fresh and seems very irrational :p I can't imagine how Min Joon could survived for hundreds years in loneliness (thought the reasons were explained in drama). IMHO The story involved too many characters, and contains some additional unnecessary scenes (which is doesn't relate to Song-yi and Min Joon relatively). This drama is quite nice, but still can't take over Rooftop Prince's 1st position in my heart. Hehe sorry for comparing XD XD
Overall, this drama is very entertaining and the portion of happy, sad, and tense scenes are pretty balance :D
Well, though it has happy ending.. to be honest I'm not really satisfied with the ending. I need moreeee clarity of Min Joon and Song-yi's relationship. Anyone agree with me?


Pros (+):
+ Nice casts
+ Nice storyline
+ Unpredictable story line
+ Happy ending
+ Nice chemistry between main roles
+ Nice OST

Cons (-):
- The involvement of supporting roles was little bit too much
- The ending isn't really satisfying (at least for me)


Rating: 8/10
Recommended? Yes, it's a good drama :D Especially when you adore Kim Soohyun and Jun Ji-hyun!


My Favorite OSTs of This Drama:
SISTAR Hyorin - Hello (안녕)
Lyn - My Destiny


Click to play the OST:
 


So.. which scene that you like most throughout the drama? ^.^ I love the flying-Song Yi scene the most! It's so sweet of him. Hehe. 안녕! :D

1 comment:

Claudia Zhu said...

URGH! This drama is life, seriously T_T Definitely top 5 for me....

http://toomanybiases.blogspot.pt