Monday, April 20, 2015

K-drama Review: The Master's Sun (2013)

Actually I heard many good reviews about this drama from my friends, and finally after proscrastinated to watch it for few months, I finished the series this week ^^ Only in 3 days! LOL



Title: The Master's Sun 주군의 태양



Also known asThe Sun of My Master
The Sun of the Lord
Mr. Joo's Miss Tae
GenreRomance, Comedy, Horror
FormatTelevision series
Written byHong Sisters
Directed byJin Hyuk
StarringGong Hyo-jin
So Ji-sub
Composer(s)Oh Joon-sung
Country of originSouth Korea
Originallanguage(s)Korean
No. of episodes17
Production
Executiveproducer(s)Son Jung-hyun
Producer(s)Kim Jin-geun
Lee Young-joon
Location(s)Korea
Running time60 minutes
Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 (KST)
Productioncompany(s)BON Factory
Broadcast
Original channelSeoul Broadcasting System
Original run7 August 2013 – 3 October 2013
Chronology
Preceded byI Can Hear Your Voice
Followed byThe Heirs


Plot 
Joo Joong-won (So Ji-sub) is the stingy and greedy CEO of Kingdom, a conglomerate that includes a major department store and hotel. He meets the gloomy Tae Gong-shil (Gong Hyo-jin), who started seeing ghosts after an accident. Their lives take a new turn as they work together to deal with the terror and sadness brought about by the spirits, while delving into a kidnapping incident in Joong-won's past.


Cast
  • Gong Hyo-jin as Tae Gong-shil/Tae-Yang
Gong-shil was once bright and sunny. But after a mysterious accident, she suddenly gains the ability to see ghosts. They continually haunt her, some wanting her to fulfill their last wishes, others merely scaring her. Gong-shil becomes an outcast, unable to hold down a job and suffering from insomnia. Now gloomy and easily moved to tears, she works as a cleaning lady at Kingdom shopping mall. Then she discovers that the ghosts are banished whenever she touches the company president, Joong-won, the most selfish man she's ever known. She begins working for him as his secretary (in name only), and because of Joong-won, she slowly opens herself up to the world.
  • So Ji-sub as Joo Jоong-won
President of the Kingdom Group. A self-centered, haughty, ambitious, and money-driven businessman, Joong-won puts a price on every relationship. The trauma of a kidnapping incident when he was younger has rendered him extremely mercenary and distrustful, as well as dyslexic. Upon learning of Gong-shil's supernatural ability, he keeps her near him, hoping to use her to communicate with his dead girlfriend Hee-joo in tracking down the 10 billion ransom paid in the form of Joong-won's mother's diamond necklace (the case's statute of limitations is almost up). But as he grows closer to Gong-shil, Joong-won comes to learn the more important things in life. (His first name joong-won literally means "ruling position" or "supremacy.")
  • Seo In-guk as Kang Woo
A former soldier who served in the Zaytun Division of the South Korean Army, which was deployed to Iraq in the mid-2000s. After his discharge, he uses that experience and skill set in pursuing a job in the private sector, thus leading him to become hired as the head of security of Joong-won's shopping mall company. He mysteriously keeps tabs on Joong-won, and notes the latter's interest in Gong-shil, who is his neighbor at the apartment building he'd recently moved into. As part of his plan, Kang Woo confesses that he likes Gong-shil, but his feelings soon begin to turn real.
  • Kim Yoo-ri as Tae Yi-ryung
A top star and the model of Joong-won's shopping mall. Yi-ryung's wedding to a soccer player is inadvertently wrecked by Gong-shil, whom she considered her high school rival. Though not related, they share the same surname and in high school they were given the following nicknames: the then-more popular Gong-shil was called "Big Sun," while the homely Yi-ryung, who wore braces and glasses, was called "Little Sun." Wanting revenge against Gong-shil for her bitter high school experiences and ruined wedding, Yi-ryung plans on seducing Joong-won, but finds herself falling for Kang Woo instead.

Credit: Wikipedia


My first impression:
Actually I've been told by my friends that the early episodes of this drama will be "little bit creepy" due to ghost appearance. But I didn't expect that it would be THIS creepy ;_____; I'm not a person who love horror movie/drama .. because I tend to visualize what I've seen or heard in my mind and when I watch any horror movie/drama, the appearance of the ghosts will haunt my mind for several hours till several days!!! OTL.
If you intend to watch this drama someday, I recommend you to watch it at day, definitely not at midnight..
Well, the good news is. the creepiest episodes of this drama is only the 1st and 2nd episodes..



Gong Hyo-jin (Tae Gong Sil) looks so messy in this drama, I need to give my thumbs up for her good acting and nice appearance! For So Ji-sub, I want to give him standing applause because he ALWAYS looks frowned (mengernyitkan dahi) in this series XDD Yes, Joong Won is a stingy and greedy CEO.
Aku yang hanya melihatnya mengernyitkan dahi sepanjang episodes aja bikin capeekk, apalagi dia yang melakukan nya :p haha. Pasti keriputnya nambah banyak >___< LOL


This is my first time watching a Korean drama series with drama, romance and horror as its genres. I like how they plotting the story line. The story becomes so intriguing and not boring. This is a good drama :D
Actually I'm kinda bored with typical drama series, and Master's sun really different with common drama nowadays ^___^
If you are horror movie lover, you should watch this series!


I can't imagine how if I have a talent like Gong Sil's talent.. No thanks.


I also love the role of Tae-Yi Ryung and Kang Woon :D They complete the craziness of this series!

Overall thoughts:
The story itself is pretty interesting and not boring. It's quite addictive but doesn't makes me wanna to re-watch it again (I'm scared of ghost visualization appearance ._.)


Pros (+)
+ Unique storyline
+ Intriguing Plot
+ Nice acting of the talents
+ Fast story line (I hate long-winded story)
+ Contains a lot of morale lessons
+ Happy ending

Cons (-)
- The last episodes (after climax episode) is little bit boring
- Creepy early episodes (creepy enough for me ;__;)


Rating: 8/10
Recommended? Yes if you are horror movie lover :p


My Favorite OSTs from this drama:
Hyorin SISTAR - Crazy for you
Yoon Mi Rae - Touch Love
Hong Dae Kwang - You and I

 
So what do you think about this drama? Have you watched it?
Thanks for reading ^^



3 comments:

Claudia Zhu said...

I also finished this drama in 3 days! ahahaha :P

I watched it a few weeks ago and I completely fell in love with it. The first episodes are just so heart clenching! I cried so much T_T Also, at first I found their love line quite weird and stalker-ish of her, but I soon started absolutely loving them together~

http://toomanybiases.blogspot.pt

fatima alfarisy said...

totally funny and addicting drama!!!!!!! Gong Hyo Jin & So Ji Sub totally nailed it!!!!!!
btw I just found out u wrote another blog, though it was too late, still.... congratulation!!!!! I also write about K-drama sometimes, glad to read urs^^

fatima alfarisy said...

totally funny, hillarious, addicting drama! Gong Hyo Jin & So Ji Sub totally nailed it!!!
Btw I just found out ur new bog. Though it was too late but, still... congratulation!!!!! I also write about K-Drama sometimes ( wish I could be more active on my blog;( ), very glad to read urs^^